Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My Thoughts on LUROP & UIUC Snow Day


I found the LUROP presentation to be rather interesting. I was not previously aware of how many different opportunities there were for research. Partaking in research provides the chance to travel abroad, work with professors and make invaluable connections and experiences. Although I myself do not specifically need research for my Journalism major, I still found the presentation intriguing and informative; I was also able to share my findings about research to my roommate who recently told me she was looking for research opportunities.

After reading the article on the online incident at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, I was greatly disappointed and disgusted at the insensitive comments made toward Chancellor Wise. Seeing as Loyola did not close on Monday, January 27th either, I definitely understand the upset and frustration that the students were experiencing. However, that certainly does not give students the right to shame, humiliate, and blatantly disrespect Chancellor Wise. The students took the matter too far and using social media to voice their opinions only heightened the situation. Although I do not believe it was necessary to share such thoughts online, we do live in an age where social media is the prime environment for public opinion and getting word out. This being said, when such opinions are racist, sexist and incredibly offensive, social media only adds fuel to the flame and is permanently left in cyber space for all to see. Not only are the comments made by students unacceptably cold-hearted and irrational to Chancellor Wise, but they also greatly harm the reputation for the University and negatively impact potential future admissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment