I was both excited and curious for the first site visit to
Family Matters. I was not sure what to expect, but when we arrived, I soon felt
the community and comfort of the building. It was so nice to see the little
children running around happily playing with friends while others were on the
computer or studying with a tutor. Meeting Dawn was very comforting and I
really appreciate how supportive and helpful she is. She helped me feel even
more excited, informed and prepared to begin my mentor position with my mentee.
I think it was great how she let us pick out our mentees; I think it was very
wise that she had us pick who we wanted based on descriptions about their
personalities and interests, and not by having us see them and pick out the one
who was the “cutest” or what not. Using this method ensured that we were able
to choose mentees that we felt we could influentially mentor.
After the Mentoring Style Inventory, I learned that I mostly
have an Advising and Prescribing mentoring style. I believe that both styles
are beneficial, because I can share my thoughts and ideas with my mentee and
also take on a more hands-on approach by helping to solve issues my mentee may
have and request that she changes any habits that may be negative.
In larger group settings, I can give participants my
opinions and make a difference by problem-solving; with the prescribing
mentoring style I can take a more authoritative position by providing
constructive criticism that will help to better situations.
No comments:
Post a Comment