
Reading the "30+ Examples of Middle-to-Upper Class Privilege" post really opened my eyes up to how fortunate I really am and how what may seem normal and expected to me is abnormal and a struggle for others. I never thought of being part of the middle-class was a privilege, but I now realize it is. Some on the examples that really struck me were: “You understand the difference between healthy and unhealthy food, and can choose to eat healthy food if you wish.” It’s so shocking to think that there are those out there who do not have to option to eat healthy food, but are rather subjected to unhealthy food, simply due to their middle class. The example, “In the case of medical emergency, you won’t have to decide against visiting a doctor or the hospital due to economic reasons,” is also very startling. I’ve never had to think twice about going to the hospital if I needed to. It’s so sad and upsetting to know that some people have to turn down going to the hospital in a time of need because they cannot afford it. Having your economic standings influence your ability to seek medical attention is scary and highly concerning. I feel that after reading the post, I have become much more aware of how others in society are living, and how I should not take anything that I have or can do for granted. I feel that there should be a bigger push for equal opportunity for people from all economic standings.
I was very moved and informed after watching Illegal and
Undocumented, Unafraid. It’s weird and a bit shameful that I live in this country
and society and am not aware of the personal wars people are facing for being
undocumented. I found that undocumented students face discrimination, ignorance
and oppression for being in a situation that is not their fault. I am really
inspired, however, by their passion, drive and persistence to rise above their
difficulties, and to stand tall in the face of their situation. After watching
the video, I am not only informed but also have a perspective of believing that
everyone should have equal opportunity in the country, despite their origins.
No comments:
Post a Comment